Hungry? Here there is a little selection of the best foods you may want to taste when coming in Salento.
Enjoy your meal!
- Home Made Pasta: It’s the most typical dish to eat in Salento. But there are not only Orecchiette in the plates of the traditional kitchen: in Salento you may find “minchiareddi” and “sagne ‘ncannullate”, that are hand made macaroni and hand made lasagne, cooked with tomato sauce and basil or with meat sauce.
- White fava beans: it is a fava beans mush, a rural historical dish of this land. It may be eaten with olive oil or mixed with seasonal greens. In some places, they are served with hot bread crumbs.
- Ciceri and Tria: They are defined as an example of gastronomic archaeology, because of their origins. The name comes from arabic language and means pasta with chickpeas. they should be cooked in a terracotta crock and should be watery.
- Muersi and Cecamariti: It is a farmer plate made with dried peas, cooked on the fireplace. To make the dish more nutritious, the homemakers used to add bread crumbs to it.
- Parmigiana: Despite the name, Parmigiana is one of the traditional Salento dishes, made with fried aubergines, fresh tomato sauce and mozzarella. There are thousands of versions of this plate: from hard boiled eggs to mortadella, from caciocavallo to meatballs, the Parmigiana lets the creativity thrive in the kitchen